Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Snippets of a holiday

There are no malls in Marshall Islands. It’s that small a country. The biggest supermarket though, also sells houseware and clothes much like Shopwise. So when we went home we made sure to drop by our favorite malls. Glorietta, Alabang Town Center, Bonifacio High Street, SM and Festival Mall. Being mall-deprived for four months we just soaked up everything, the shops, the lights, the sounds, the people. Ahhh, the fastest way to get back into the Manila groove is to go to a mall.

My best friend from grade school, invited me to the Karl Edwards’ Bazaar at the NBC Tent. It was fun walking around and marveling at the different merchandise for sale. I mostly bought clothes for Raine, including a 2-piece Baby Gap swimsuit for only PhP 150 and an adorable hooded bathrobe for PhP 350! What a bargain!

We spent 5 days in hubby’s hometown in Victorias City in Negros Occidental, about an hour’s drive from Bacolod City. They have a spanking new international airport in Silay. Very sleek and modern. It was only Raine’s second time to visit the province. She was 10 months old the first time we came over. It can be a bit overwhelming mind you, since Papa, hubby’s Dad has, 12 siblings (2 already passed away) who each have families, some of whom also have families of their own. So you can just imagine how big their brood is.

Of course hubby had to play 18 holes of golf at the nearby country club, while Raine and I went to visit their farm. Raine enjoyed looking at the cows and the chickens. Papa even showed off two of his best cockfighting hens much to the delight of the little girl. We have one 10 month old niece from hubby’s sister Joy. Raine seemed in awe of Baby Louie. I had to keep reminding her to be gentle when she touched her, or held her hand. I think Raine thought she was a doll.

We were able to get in some spa time as well. We tried one at a mall and also had some home service done. The home service massage though was better and more relaxing than the one at the mall. My masseuse was even able to remove the crick on my shoulder blades. Raine was watching while I was getting my massage and after that whenever I lie on my tummy she would pretend to massage me. She would rub her tiny hands together, as if there was some oil in it and then move her palms down my back like a real masseuse.

Raine was invited to two children’s parties while we were home. First was to her cousin Annika’s 3rd birthday party and then, to my Dad’s friend’s grandson’s 1st birthday. The little girl was in her element. She hadn’t seen so many kids her age and race for so long. She thoroughly enjoyed the whole kiddie party atmosphere.

I got a chance to catch a cheesy Pinoy romantic flick with my highschool best friend Hazel. We agreed to watch the Aga Muhlach and Anne Curtis starrer "When Love Begins" and were anticipating a nice movie with some kilig, some funny, some insightful moments on our favorite topic. But the movie failed to deliver. We succumbed to making up our own stories and comments about the actors during the “dead-air” moments, which were more than we liked. Although the movie turned out to be a dud, I can truthfully say I still had fun watching it because of the company of my friend.

Thankfully we caught the first Saturday mass at the Pink Sisters’ convent with my college friend Mayang and her sisters. It was May and every house in Tagaytay seemed to be having a party that was spilling into the streets that day. We were in crawling traffic for 3 hours and made it just in time for the special mass. We had a relaxing dinner at Sonia’s Garden later.

Reunions here and there, meeting up with former neighbors, college friends, childhood friends. It was a whirlwind of activity for us, most especially for hubby since he had to cram it all in 2 weeks while Raine and I extended our stay for an extra couple more. I’m thankful for the time we were able to spend in our hometowns with our families. Up to now, Raine still remembers Lolo and Annika. When she can’t sleep at night I tell her stories about our trip to the Philippines and she listens intently with her big round eyes and repeats the names of everybody back home.

It’s back to the daily grind for me and hubby here in the islands. Sigh, it was only a month but it was we’ll always cherish. ‘Til the next one in December!

1 comment:

Coriander Dreams said...

Hi Rhea!
How do you find Aga when he's paired to younger actresses? I think the new ones now are just too young naman for Aga. Like it loses kilig factor at least in my opinion. The youngest I'd pair him up with if I could was just that Claudine Baretto movie with him.. Anne Curtis, Kristine Hermosa i think are just too young. Oh well.

Anyway, I have a bit of a favour if you dont mind?

Just wondering if you could update my sites.

The functional ones are:
http://travellerndreamer.blogspot.com
http://gorgeoustraveller.blogspot.com
http://www.gorgeoustraveller.com

Thanks!!
Marie