Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Always Be My Baby

Everyday Raine becomes less of a baby and more of a little girl; showing her independence by trying to do things by herself.

I’m always trying to make her drink water and juice so that she’s not too dependent on milk. One time, after drinking her cough medicine, I offered her water but she refused it so I let her be. Later, we brushed her teeth using baby toothpaste (the kind you don’t need to spit out) and I offered her water again. Still, she shook her head no. During lunch she finally took some liquids.
Lesson learned: just because I think she’s thirsty doesn’t mean she really is. I kept offering her water when she didn’t want any after all. When she finally wanted some she told me herself, tiptoeing and reaching for her cup on the kitchen counter. She also likes to feed herself now, oblivious to the mess she makes as she takes in spoonfuls of oatmeal, pasta or a rice meal.

Another time, I was laying out Raine’s clothes and diaper, getting ready to give her a bath. The next thing I know she is already inside the shower stall, pouring water on herself, while still wearing her pajamas!

Raine already knows how to remove her clothes so sometimes she likes to take them off and walk around the house butt naked! I usually have to put on her clothes for her two to three times before she gets tired of this “game”.

For her afternoon nap, I lie down beside her and she usually falls asleep in a few minutes. Once, she started crying and kept pushing me away. It turns out that she wanted to sleep by herself. Wow, that was a first! Now, even at night she no longer needs to have my arm wrapped around her while she sleeps. She takes my arm for awhile but when she’s really drowsy, she removes it from around her waist and buries herself in her pillows until she’s in deep sleep.

Usually at night hubby asks for a foot massage. Lately, whenever Raine sees me putting on the lotion, she excitedly positions herself near her Daddy’s feet and swats my hands away, as if to stay, “No, I want to do it.”

I have to admit I miss the days when she was totally dependent on us; for eating, bathing, clothing and everything else in between. In a few months, Raine will be two and show even more independence. Sometimes I wish she would stay a baby a little bit longer but she seems to be rapidly changing everyday. As she leaves babyhood behind and moves on to being a full-fledged toddler, I shall be in the wings guiding her and cheering her on.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aaawwww...just enjoy each day of your motherhood Rhee! Hmmm...sounds like she's ready to be an "Ate". :)