Saturday, August 30, 2008

Have Bag, Will Travel

Sturdy, durable and long-lasting luggage is every traveler’s best friend. Before we moved out of the country, I didn’t really care much for travel gear. To me as long as it could hold all my personal belongings it would do. But the increase in our travel to and from the Philippines meant we needed suitcases that would stand the test of time. It had to be large and lightweight at the same time due to stricter freight regulations. It had to be made of a strong enough material to withstand being hurled around and ripped or torn in case it was under other travelers’ luggage in the airplane’s cargo. But aside from form and function it had to look stylish too.

I remember I saw a popular celebrity couple at the airport with a porter in front of them pushing a huge cart with a ton of Louis Vuitton designer luggage perched on top of it. While I do not fantasize of owning such luxurious duds for my clothes and what-not, I would still like to own nice luggage in a color other than the staple black. Hubby’s own suitcase is beige and red, you can spot it a mile away amidst a sea of black and navy bags as the luggage carousel moves along.

I bought two pieces of luggage for our move to Marshall Islands. One was from a popular international brand that I ordered through our office supplier. I quickly realized all our things wouldn’t fit in it so I went to a luggage store to buy another one. It was locally made, thus cheaper than the first one I bought but the sales personnel assured me of its features. It actually looked better than the imported one I bought earlier. Well, what do you know, when we got to the Islands, one of the legs of the cheaper luggage broke! Argh! Goes to show that sometimes, it really pays to pay a little more for quality.

No comments: