Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Be a Smart Loser

I've never had a problem losing weight. In fact, up until I got pregnant I had always been below a 100 lbs. I'm not sure if it has to do with my metabolism, my bone structure, my genes or all of the above but for most of my life I've been on the slender side. It's not that I am doing anything to keep the weight off in fact, I'd always wanted to have a fuller figure but no matter how much I ate I never gained enough weight to achieve this, until I got pregnant that is. I gained about 30 lbs. altogether and promptly shed most of it a month or two after giving birth. I have breastfeeding to thank for that.

I guess I could say that I'm one of the lucky ones in this department. I have friends who constantly complain about needing to lose weight. Although I argue that gaining weight is even harder, they just roll their eyes at me. One friend has tried every imaginable diet there is: South Beach, After Six, Three-Day Diet, name it, she's tried it. She's even taken some diet pills to boost her weight-loss program. Until now, she's still in search of the best diet pill in the market. There are pills that make you lose your appetite or make you have to rush to the bathroom after a meal. I've even heard of diet pills laced with drugs. A former officemate got addicted to her pills and kept taking them even after she had already lost a considerable amount of weight. I got worried about her because she experienced bad side effects to the pills and could not function properly. It turns out that the pills weren't even approved by the FDA.

I believe the best way to lose weight is to eat right and exercise. If you must take a diet pill, be sure to consult a physician first. Don't just buy whatever is available at the drugstore. Do your research and find out as much as you can about the pill before you take it. Be a smart loser (of weight) and you end up a winner.

No comments: